Re: debian files in sourceforge cvs

Here's what I do to release my package,
(Well more accurately, what I will do for the next version):

http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/linux_project_release_process/

The pertinent bits from there, relating to your question are:

. I include /debian in my upstream repository root

. I include /debian in my snapshot tarballs to allow
  others to build debian packages easily

. I exclude /debian from my release tarballs,
  and instead copy /debian from the appropriate
  place in my repository in order to build the package.

Justin Pryzby noted to me previously that,
advantages for having debian/ in the .diff.gz rather
than the orig.tar.gz are:

. more conventional
. not confusing other people using other distributions
. allowing new Debian revisions without bumping the version for the
  non-Debian source"

The last is the main advantage I can see.

cheers,
Pádraig.