Re: what is the right place for pkgconfig files ?

On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:11:45 +0200
picca <picca@synchrotron-soleil.Fr> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On my debian testing system I have .pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/
> and /usr/share/pkgconfig/
>
> Which one is the right one ?

On my unstable box, only 5 pc files exist in /usr/share/pkgconfig.
There are two hundred in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/.

from man pkg-config:

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
       PKG_CONFIG_PATH
              A colon-separated (on Windows, semicolon-separated) list of directories  to  search
	      for  .pc  files.   The default  directory  will  always  be  searched  after  searching
              the  path;  the default is libdir/pkgconfig:datadir/pkgconfig where libdir is the
              libdir where pkg-config and datadir is the datadir where pkg-config was installed

So both are searched.

The Library Packaging Guide doesn't distinguish:
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html

Personally, I always use /usr/lib/pkgconfig - that is where the
majority of pc files exist.

--

Neil Williams