Re: Question about a package conflict

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 12:35:24PM -0700, John Stamp wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > - have both packages depend on a common file providing the schema
> > file (a bit heavy of a solution for a single schema file..)

> What if I split lastfm into 'lastfm' and 'lastfm-gconf' and then have
> lastfm Suggests: lastfm-gconf?  This may still be heavy just for one
> file.  But then again that one file is causing the package to depend
> on gconf2 and all its dependencies...

Uh, you shouldn't have to depend on gconf just for the file anyway.  Call
the registration hook in the postinst only if gconf is installed, and no
dependency is needed.

Then no split is needed, and alternatives still sound like the best option
here (since it appears that the schema files being installed by lastfm and
last-exit are mutually exclusive in nature).