Re: RFS: brightd

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 07:47:51PM +0200, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:57:45 +0200 Evgeni Golov wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "brightd".

IANADD, so I can't sponsor you. I can, however, offer you some
comments:

* Your watch file is wrong, the line should be
   http://pberndt.com/Programme/Linux/brightd/_download .*/brightd-(.*)\.tar\.bz2
  and you should remove the rest of the commented examples.
  Given upstream's weird download site, I don't think there's a
  'correct' way to do it, but at least this one will alert you to new
  versions, even if they can't be downloaded automatically.

* You should not ship upstream's copy of the gpl (debian/docs)

* Do not change file permissions in postinst, unless you do it with
  dpkg-statoverride. In this case, given that what you want are
  standard execute permissions for a binary, you just need to do it
  when packaging. Which is already happening, in the call to
  dh_fixperms. This will leave your postinst empty, so just remove it.

* Many sponsors object to having commented out lines in
  debian/rules. Please be ready to remove them or have a convincing
  argument of why you won't.

* Have you distributed this package publicly? If not, you should
  colapse the debian/changelog entries into a single one for the last
  version and revert the debian revision to -1.

You should probably also remove final empty lines form all of your
debian/* files. debian/changelog in particular has many.

And there's a minor bug in the manpage. Line 26 says (spelled out to
avoid encoding problems):
 ... n*1000 <Acircumflex><mu>s between ...
I assume the <Acircumflex> has nothing to do there and is the result
of an encoding error somewhere. That's an upstream bug, just inform them.

I hope you find a sponsor for your package.

--
Rodrigo Gallardo
GPG-Fingerprint: 7C81 E60C 442E 8FBC D975  2F49 0199 8318 ADC9 BC28