Re: RFS: proda

Le Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 06:46:37PM +0200, Nico Golde a écrit :
> Hi,
> * David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> [2007-04-24 17:46]:
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "proda".
> >
> > * Package name    : proda
> >   Version         : 1.0-1
> >   Upstream Author : Phuong T.M., Do C.B., Edgar R.C., Batzoglou S.
> > * URL             : http://proda.stanford.edu
> > * License         : public domain [1]
> >   Section         : science
> >
> > It builds these binary packages:
> > proda      - multiple alignment of protein sequences
> [...]
> A few comments:
> - copyright lacks upstream email, would be good to see it
>   there
> - watch file seems broken:
>   uscan warning: In debian/watch,
>   no matching hrefs for watch line
>   http://proda.stanford.edu/proda_(_*)\.tar\.gz
>
>   opts="uversionmangle=s/_/\./" \
>   http://proda.stanford.edu/proda_(.*)\.tar\.gz
>   should be correct, shouldn't it?
> - you included manpage.xml but you don't convert it while building?
> - you have Uploader in control it has to be Uploaders
> - you directly patched Makefile, why not using dpatch or quilt?
>   (or just do the rm proda and instal from within rules, patching is
>    not really needed here and you never call distclean)

Dear David,

it seems that you have adressed most of Nico's points in a revised
version uploaded to mentors. It is very clean, I just have a few
comments:

About debian/rules:
 - The configure rule is mandatory, but in this case, we do not need it to
   contain anything.
 - I would tend to remove the template's comments, but this is up to
   your taste.
 - Similarly, you can safely remove lines such as # dh_installmenu, as
   we can be 99.9 % sure that they will not be useful in the future.
 - You can give arguments to dh_clean and dh_install, then you do not
   need the rm -f and the install commands. (This is again up to your
   taste).
 - Giving an argument to dh_installdirs, you would not need debian/dirs
   anymore.

About proda.1:
 - As you built it from an xml source, I think that it is important to
   provide its sourcce in the package.
 - You can rebuild it at each package building, it does not take so much
   CPU. Here is an example of debian/rules file which does this:
   http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/boxshade/trunk/debian/rules?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
 - You would then need to build-depend on xsltproc, docbook-xsl,
   docbook-xml.
 - The manpage says that proda is documented by an info file, but it is
   not true.
 - I think that it is not necessary to say in the Description section
   that the man page was written for Debian.
 - As proda is in the public domain, I think that the GPL is a bit too
   much for the manpage. I tend to like to give a permission to use,
   modify, copy and redistribute as the program itself for my manpages.
   But it is a matter of taste.

Lastly, proda is related to the probcons and amap programs, which failed
to build with gcc-4.3. It means that it is likely that you would have a
FTBFS bug filed by Martin Michlmayr soon after getting proda in the main
archive. Depending on how playful and busy you are, you may be
interested to check by yourself before getting sponsored.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org