Re: RFS: pdf-smp

On Friday 20 April 2007 08:15:19 Neil Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:23:44 +0200
>
> egregorion <egregorion@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Evgeni,

> > > As I see, the package contains only two .desktop files, why don't
> > > merge these into pdftk / pdfjam?
> >
> > Because pdftk and pdfjam are command-line utilities, for any unix
> > system. I think it's not a goog idea to make pdfjam and pdftk depends
> > on kde... :)
>
> Desktop files don't add kde as a dependency. debhelper deals with
> the .desktop file, it just needs to be installed in a certain location.
> These particular desktop files need Konqueror to be of any use but that
> could be a Recommends: or Suggests:

I'm sorry, this is my first package :-)
I've read the Debian New Maintainers' Guide.
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-control

Depends:
The package will not be installed unless the packages it depends on are
installed. Use this if your program absolutely will not run (or will cause
severe breakage) unless a particular package is present.

Recommends:
Frontends such as dselect or aptitude will prompt you to install the
recommended packages along with your package; dselect will even insist. dpkg
and apt-get will ignore this field, though. Use this for packages that are
not strictly necessary but are typically used with your program.

Suggests:
When a user installs your program, all frontends will likely prompt them to
install the suggested packages. dpkg and apt-get won't care. Use this for
packages which will work nicely with your program but are not at all
necessary.

In this case, I think, the konqueror service menus, absolutely will not run
unless konqueror package is present.
Is konqueror not strictly necessary?
Konqueror work only nicely with this service menus?

> > > Btw, pdf-smp sounds like a SMP-enabled pdf creator, or a kernel of
> > > the pdfOS? ;)
> >
> > I know, but SMP stays for Service Menu Pack... :)
>
> Yuk. IMHO the package name should reflect the KDE-specific nature of
> the package (instead of leaving it to the Depends: line which isn't
> visible on a quick search through the cache). What about kpdf-util ?

kpdf is another software, this service menus are "plugins" for konqueror.
like nautilus action.

> 'Service Menu Pack' is a distortion of what the package contains. I'd
> drop 'service' completely from the summary and description - say what
> it is: two desktop files to provide extra options for pdf files in KDE.

I read too kdevelop documentation:
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/servicemenus.html

In KDE-speak a "servicemenu" is a special entry that appears in Konqueror's
context menu depending on the file(s) that are selected.
Servicemenus are defined using ".desktop" files, which are the same kind of
files that are used to create entries in the K Menu or on the KDE desktop.

smp is acronimous for "Service Menus Pack"
.desktop files are generic type file, for launching apps or create menu entry
or servicemenu or other.

Can I rename in konq-pdfsmp. Maybe better?

Regards