Re: RFS: pdf-smp

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:23:44 +0200
egregorion <egregorion@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Evgeni,
>
> On Friday 20 April 2007 01:08:31 Evgeni Golov wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:02:04 +0200 Giuseppe Benigno wrote:
> > > pdf-smp    - Two service menus for KDE that handles PDF Documents
> >
> > As I see, the package contains only two .desktop files, why don't
> > merge these into pdftk / pdfjam?
>
> Because pdftk and pdfjam are command-line utilities, for any unix
> system. I think it's not a goog idea to make pdfjam and pdftk depends
> on kde... :)

Desktop files don't add kde as a dependency. debhelper deals with
the .desktop file, it just needs to be installed in a certain location.
These particular desktop files need Konqueror to be of any use but that
could be a Recommends: or Suggests:

> > Btw, pdf-smp sounds like a SMP-enabled pdf creator, or a kernel of
> > the pdfOS? ;)
>
> I know, but SMP stays for Service Menu Pack... :)

Yuk. IMHO the package name should reflect the KDE-specific nature of
the package (instead of leaving it to the Depends: line which isn't
visible on a quick search through the cache). What about kpdf-util ?
'Service Menu Pack' is a distortion of what the package contains. I'd
drop 'service' completely from the summary and description - say what
it is: two desktop files to provide extra options for pdf files in KDE.

--

Neil Williams