Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

Tyler MacDonald wrote:
>     Are you suggesting that instead of creating a debian "off topic" mailing
> list, we should create a debian-help list instead, specifically mandated on
> the topic of getting and giving help with debian?

    Nope.  Because such a list would then have to pull the people who are
helpful to it.  If you look at the names that pop up in the OT threads over
and over you'll also find that many of them are the people who also pitch in
and help people over and over.

>     debian-user's description is "Help and discussion among users of
> Debian"... obviously these two topics need to be separated so that there's a
> list where debian users can be *productive*.

    Who says this isn't productive?  As I pointed out these threads have been
going on for years.  This opposition and these ideas have been pitched for
years.  I think the fact that the list is still here and that at least 90-95%
of the discussion is about getting/receiving help about Debian or discussion
about learning advanced topics in a Debian context is a testament to the fact
that the sky isn't falling, we're not in a handbasket, the trumpets aren't
sounding and, in fact, we are quite productive.