Re: Must a source package's shared libraries always be spit into separate binary packages?

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 05:03:47PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Yes, installing the libraries in /usr/lib.

> For such packages with libraries without sonames, one should just make
> something up?

If the library is not suitable to being treated like a regular library,
that's the case where rpath is the right option.

Modifying ld.so.conf is really never the right option, and I expect we'll
probably drop that from Policy post-etch.  Steve has the evaluation of
that exactly right.