Re: Must a source package's shared libraries always be spit into separate binary packages?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:10:06 +0000, Paul Cager wrote:

> On Mon, February 19, 2007 1:38 pm, Sam Morris wrote:
>> I am packaging the nemiver debugger, which has a new version that has
>> split some of its functionality into a libnemiver-common library. The
>> library is probably not very useful without nemiver itself being
>> installed.
>>
>> Is it ok to avoid splitting out a separate libnemiver-common0 package, and
>> instead ship the library file in the nemiver binary package?
>
> I believe in this case it is OK to keep the library within the main binary
> package. You'll need to place the SOs in /usr/lib/$PACKAGE, of course.

Hm, this sounds overly complicated--editing /etc/ld.so.conf in the
maintainer scripts, etc. Why shouldn't I just provide a nemiver.shlibs
file that points dpkg-shlibdeps at the nemiver package?

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078