Re: Must a source package's shared libraries always be spit into separate binary packages?

Sam Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 18:11 +0000, Paul Cager wrote:

>>> Hm, this sounds overly complicated--editing /etc/ld.so.conf in the
>>> maintainer scripts, etc. Why shouldn't I just provide a nemiver.shlibs
>>> file that points dpkg-shlibdeps at the nemiver package?
>> Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I meant you would place your SOs
>> in a subdirectory of /usr/lib, e.g.
>>
>>   /usr/lib/nemiver/libnemiverXXXX.so
>>
>> I do not believe you would need to edit /etc/ld.so.conf for this (as it is
>> a private SO).
>
> Hm, I think I would have because nemiver is linked against the library:
>
>         $ objdump -p /usr/bin/nemiver | grep nemiver
>         /usr/bin/nemiver:     file format elf32-i386
>           NEEDED      libnemivercommon.so.0
>
> Which is what Policy says should be done. I guess I could also do the
> whole LD_LIBRARY_PATH & wrapper script thing.
>
> What I really meant was whether I need to do it at all. IIRC devhelp
> used to also ship a library in /usr/lib, it simply shipped a shlibs file
> that pointed dpkg-shlibdeps to devhelp-dev.

Sorry, I sent my last reply directly to Sam, by accident. Here it is
back on the list...

When I packages afnix I created a /usr/lib/afnix and compiled with
-rpath=/usr/lib/afnix. But I'm strictly an amateur with shared libraries
- can anyone else comment?