Re: netcdf again

Warren Turkal wrote:

> You have convinced me, I will reroll the packages at version
> 3.6.2-beta6~pre1-1 so that the original source is uploaded as well. The
> current version scheme I used doesn't allow a proper -1 release. Or do you
> have a suggestion?

I'm not quite sure whether you want the "pre1" to be part of the
upstream version or of the Debian revision versioning system.

Assuming that the upstream version is 3.6.2-beta6, I'd suggest the
following scheme:

Packages that you distribute unofficially: 3.6.2~beta6-1~pre1 (then
3.6.2~beta6-1~pre2, etc.)
Eventual package for upload to Debian: 3.6.2~beta6-1

Note the use of a ~ in the upstream version (3.6.2~beta6).  Otherwise,
3.6.2-beta6 is greater than the eventual release version 3.6.2.

Setting the Debian revision to 1~pre1 lets you make the eventual release
targeted to Debian experimental (or to unstable, post-Etch release) be
version 3.6.2~beta6-1.

Alternatively you could just release unofficial 3.6.2~beta6-1 packages
now, and have the final version uploaded to Debian be 3.6.2~beta6-4 (or
just whatever the Debian revision happens to be by then).  All that's
necessary is to remind your sponsor to build with the -sa option to
dpkg-buildpackage, to ensure that the orig.tar.gz will get uploaded.

Some people are a bit insistent about always wanting the first Debian
upload of a sponsored package to be <upstream-version>-1, but I'm not
one of them ;-)

One cautionary note: If you go with 3.6.2~beta6 for an upstream version,
your build directory will be named netcdf-3.6.2~beta6.  I remember that
some libtool versions don't like directory names that include tildes [0]
... might that be a problem?  If this is so, it could be necessary to
re-libtoolize the source with Debian's libtool [1,2].

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/09/msg00825.html
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/09/msg00828.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/09/msg00830.html

best regards,