Re: RFS: speedometer -- measure and display the rate of data across a network connection

Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> writes:

> Jari Aalto wrote:
>>>   * configure: stanza in rules is unused, remove it. same with build:
>>>    (but since build: is a mandatory target, just leave an empty build:
>>>     in rules)
>>>
>>>   * remove the useless commented stuff, e.g. in clean:
>>>
>>>   * remove the not used dh_* calls for your package, e.g.
>>>     dh_installexamples and others.
>>>

>> I would rather keep those for maintenence purposes and I find they keep
>> the packaged uniform with all the steps visible. After all, comments
>> are comments, in all programming languages. Leaving the unused dh_*
>> calls is permitted by New Debian New Maintainers' Guide[1].
>
> if you insist on keeping the useless stuff, i consider the package as to
> ugly according to my mesures of beauty, and hence i'm not sponsoring it.
>
> you didn't fix the things here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2007/01/msg00220.html

Missed that post. Thank you for pointing out those errors in fspanel.

  * dependencies in Depends: need to be seperated with a ','.

Fixed.

    - if you use CFLAGS, you have to pass them directly to each $(MAKE)
      call.

Fixed.

    - remove the configure: stanza, you don't use it anyway.
    - remove the useless commented stuff
    - remove the dh_* calls which are not required for your package,
      e.g. dh_installexamples and others.

As talked before in debian-devel I have to lean to those DDs that
consider keeping the commented calls. I understand that different
developers develop their style that works best for them. In this case
I agree with those other DDs and consider my workload; the maintenance
of the packages now and in the future.

As a package maintainer I feel it serves me best in the long run when
all packages are in uniform state. This will have the following
effects:

* More easy management and maintenance of all packages

* Developing tools that handle all packages the same (calls for
  Makefile 'rules' target etc.)
* Keeping informaed what options possibly could be turned on in the
  future, as needed.
* New developer or co-developer already undestand the "template" as
  used by dh_make.

Thank you for valuable comments. The corrected fspanel package is at:

  dget -x http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/debian/fspanel/fspanel_0.7-7.dsc

Jari