Re: Recurring "please do" patterns in debian-mentors

Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> writes:

> wrt/ lintian, as long as the packages do work, the purely optional
> matter of style questions[0] should never be part of any lintian check
> (lintian shall only check for policy violations or general package
> breakages). That is why I never would have had the idea to submit these
> two mentioned things to the lintian maintainers.

It's my long-term intention to add a set of style checks to lintian that
would be optional and would have to be explicitly requested.  I think that
both of these would fit well in that category, along with things like
checking how whitespace is used in control fields and asking for spaces
after commas and before parens.

In the meantime, some of those checks are already in lintian at the I:
level, and I don't object to adding more, but some of these checks should
probably wait until the style check functionality has been added since
they're really more minor even than I:.

In other words, feel free to submit a wishlist lintian bug for things like
this.  I'm going to pull up all of those once the style check facility is
available.