Re: Regarding Debian-Java Packages

Eng. Mina Ramses wrote:
> The problem is a license one.
> trying to package libxsd-java
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=296643>
> the license was a Sun Binary License which is not compatible with
> DFSG (it's not free for Debian). By asking the author and he claimed
> it's under BSD
> which is OK for Debian.

if upstream can't, doesn't or doesn't want to license his source-code
properly, you can't do anything about it.

if SBL would be distributable at least, you could have packaged it for
non-free, but since SBL is considered not distributable, you can't
package this at all.

in short: either persuade the copyright holders of that software to
change the license, or forget it.

> But i think this is not enough for me to be sure of the license type.
> And this is what I'm talking about , I'm always getting confused with
> licenses issues,

confused?

> i don't
> know if the request is still a point of care or it's only a legacy
> listed request not more. ?

ask the submitter of the bug report.

but generally, you should only package software which you use yourself.
this way, you can ensure you make the best package there could be for a
given software.