Re: Regarding Debian-Java Packages

The problem is a license one.
trying to package libxsd-java
the license was a Sun Binary License which is not compatible with
DFSG (it's not free for Debian). By asking the author and he claimed it's under BSD
which is OK for Debian.
But i think this is not enough for me to be sure of the license type.
And this is what I'm talking about , I'm always getting confused with licenses issues,
but maybe cause it's shared library in this case my confusion is  much more so the license is not correctly clear, maybe I'll try to search for some other packages I'm interested to package it , at the time I'm also confused regarding the past days from the start request i.e., i don't know if the request is still a point of care or it's only a legacy listed request not more. ?
thanks in advance

On 12/29/06, Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> wrote:
Eng. Mina Ramses wrote:
>>>The problem is when I tried to package it, I found that the license
>>>was a Sun Binary License which is not compatible with DFSG (it's not
>>>free for Debian). I asked the author and he claimed it's under BSD
>>>which is OK for Debian.
>
>>>I did not investigate no more, but it's not suffisiant that the author
>>>claim it's BSD, there must be a LICENSE file in the projet and the
>>>java source must be commented with the BSD license.

i'm not able to guess what the actual problem is (except that upstream
seems not to proper license his software). can you please summarize it
in a not scrambled mail?

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email:          daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net