Re: changelog entries - ubuntu?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:13:19 -0500
Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com> wrote:

> During a recent upgrade of my Debian Sid box,  I noticed the
> following changelog entry:
>

> f-spot (0.2.2-0ubuntu1) feisty; urgency=low
>
>   * Update to 0.2.2 upstream
>

> Perhaps I've already missed a discussion on this. If so, I'd
> appreciate a link/pointer so that I can read up.  But if not, then
> are their guidelines or policy statements somewhere that explain
> how and when Ubuntu releases are incorporated into Debian?
>
> I maintain a handful of Debian packages and am genuinely curious
> about this and am not trying to start a heated debate.

Not all Ubuntu changes are relevant to the Debian usage. At other
times, the Ubuntu patch can help significantly with bug reports against
the Debian package. In some ways, the Ubuntu changes become a bit like
an NMU and you need to acknowledge any changes that you integrate into
the Debian package. You are best placed to check the patch. You should
be able to tell quite quickly whether the Ubuntu changes are worth
integrating into the Debian package. If the ubuntu changes aren't
relevant, you can ignore Ubuntu releases.

--

Neil Williams