Re: changelog entries - ubuntu?

Kevin Coyner wrote:

> During a recent upgrade of my Debian Sid box,  I noticed the
> following changelog entry:
>
> f-spot (0.2.2-0ubuntu1) feisty; urgency=low
>
>   * Update to 0.2.2 upstream
>
> Perhaps I've already missed a discussion on this. If so, I'd
> appreciate a link/pointer so that I can read up.  But if not, then
> are their guidelines or policy statements somewhere that explain
> how and when Ubuntu releases are incorporated into Debian?
>
> I maintain a handful of Debian packages and am genuinely curious
> about this and am not trying to start a heated debate.

Hi Kevin,
(another Kevin here)

I am pretty sure there is no formal policy describing what to do about
version numbers containing the substring "ubuntu" (or that of any other
derived distribution).

As far as I can see, in practice having "ubuntu" entries in the Debian
changelog is tolerated.  This commonly happens when the Debian and
Ubuntu maintainers are the same persons, or the Debian maintainers pull
from the Ubuntu maintainer's work.

I imagine that having a version number containing "ubuntu" in the actual
package uploaded to Debian is discouraged.  I only found one package in
Sid at the moment that does this: update-manager, version
0.42.2ubuntu22-7.  I think this is because Ubuntu is upstream for this
package.

best regards,