Re: general packaging question

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 03:00:40PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> My question is:
> Currently knentstats is at version 1.6.1.
> How would I repackage knetstats when version 1.6.2 is released ?

There are several ways.  Personally, I just get the new upstream tarball,
unpack it, rename things (the tarball and the unpacked directory), and copy
over the debian/ directory from the previous version.  Then I make changes
again.

That method only really works if you have no debian-specific patches outside
debian/.  If you do, you probably want to use uupdate.  That does all the
above for you, except adding the debian directory, plus it applies the
previous version's diff.gz.  So that adds all debian-specific things
(including the debian/ directory).

> If, then, I would re-run dh_make, my old settings would be gone because
> dh_make would create a new debian/ subfolder for knetstats 1.6.2.

If I understood it correctly, dh_make will actually keep your changes (if you
had them in the tree when running it).  I've never used it myself, though.
Packages work fine without rerunning dh_make.

> How would I then add entry of the old changelog into the current knetstats
> package i.e. 1.6.2 ?

When you have the new tree prepared, dch.  The entry is already there, made by
uupdate.

> I hope there is a proper way to tackle such situations.

If there wouldn't, I'm sure someone would have created one real soon. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html