Re: general packaging question

Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've package knetstats for Debian.
>
> Currently I ran dh_make and did the packaging. dh_make created the debian/
> subfolder and I did the necessary changes to build the package. All is fine
> till here.
>
> My question is:
> Currently knentstats is at version 1.6.1.
> How would I repackage knetstats when version 1.6.2 is released ? If, then, I
> would re-run dh_make, my old settings would be gone because dh_make would
> create a new debian/ subfolder for knetstats 1.6.2. All my changelog details
> would be gone.
>
> How would I then add entry of the old changelog into the current knetstats
> package i.e. 1.6.2 ?

If the diff.gz contains only files in the debian directory (i.e. your
changes are organized in patches, or you don't have source changes),
then you can simply copy the debian directory to the new source tree and
add a new changelog entry the usual way.

If you do have changes to the original source tree, I would apply the
diff.gz to it:

mv knetstats_1.6.2.tar.gz knetstats_1.6.2.orig.tar.gz
tar -xzf knetstats_1.6.2.orig.tar.gz
cd knetstats-1.6.1/
zcat ../knetstats_1.6.1-$rev.diff.gz | patch -p1

and then look at the hunks that were rejected.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)