general packaging question

Hi,

I've package knetstats for Debian.

Currently I ran dh_make and did the packaging. dh_make created the debian/
subfolder and I did the necessary changes to build the package. All is fine
till here.

My question is:
Currently knentstats is at version 1.6.1.
How would I repackage knetstats when version 1.6.2 is released ? If, then, I
would re-run dh_make, my old settings would be gone because dh_make would
create a new debian/ subfolder for knetstats 1.6.2. All my changelog details
would be gone.

How would I then add entry of the old changelog into the current knetstats
package i.e. 1.6.2 ?

I hope there is a proper way to tackle such situations.

Thanks,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf