Re: RFS: tstat

Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "tstat".
>
> * Package name    : tstat
>  Version         : 1.01-1
>  Upstream Author : Dario Rossi <dario.rossi@polito.it>, Marco Mellia
> <mellia@polito.it>
> * URL             : http://tstat.tlc.polito.it/
> * License         : GPL2
>  Section         : net
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> tstat      - TCP STatistic and Analysis Tool
>
> The package is lintian clean.
>
> The upload would fix these bugs: 323913

> main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tstat/tstat_1.01-1.dsc

> Kind regards
> Sandro Tosi

Hi Sandro,

IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but I wonder if we shouldn't ask debian-legal
about these license clauses for erf.c:

  3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
     must display the following acknowledgement:
       This product includes software developed by Endace Technology Ltd.,
       Hamilton, New Zealand, and its contributors.
  4. Neither the name of Endace Technology nor the names of its contributors
     may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
     without specific prior written permission.

It seems to be that you can't talk about the features of the software
without using the name of Endace Technology, but that you can't use the name
of Endace without prior written consent.  I guess it all stems from how you
define "All advertising materials," which taken broadly could contain the
description field in the debian/control file, along with how you interpret
"endorse or promote."

Comments from others who have more experience with this?
Thanks,
tony