Re: RFS: yorick (updated package; fixes FTBFS on powerpc and obsolescence)

Le mercredi 16 août 2006 à 16:56 +0200, Christoph Haas a écrit :
> Hello, Thibaut...

Hello Christoph & world,

> On Thursday 10 August 2006 17:46, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> > I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 2.1.01cvs20060706-1
> > of the package "yorick", which I am adopting. The version currently in
> > the archive is obsolete and FTBFS with GCC 4.2 on powerpc (#367895).
>
> Okay, I've dug into it.

Thanks a lot for your time!

> Version jump:
>  The version currently in Debian is 1.5.14. Is it really necessary
>  to use the CVS version instead of the last stable 2.1.01? Or am I looking
>  at something complete different at
>  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=148451 ?

The CVS version contains useful bug fixes as well as features I
requested for Debian integration regarding FHS compliance. If I went for
the published tarball, I'd have to backport most of the CVS advances.

CVS development is slow and consists mostly in bug fixes. As of
writting, the most recent changes are about ten lines three weeks ago.
The preceding lot of changes is two months old and is what I requested
for Debian.

> Lintian complains:
>  W: yorick: menu-command-not-in-package /usr/share/menu/yorick:3 rlwrap

The package suggests rlwrap. The menu entry uses this
readline-capability-providing wrapper if available and falls back to no
readline support otherwise.

>  W: yorick: menu-icon-missing yorick32x32.xpm
>  W: yorick: menu-icon-missing yorick16x16.xpm

These two icons are in yorick-data.

I heard of the concept of overrides, but did not really find my way
through the wealth of available documentation to precise relevant items
(must have been a bit dumb or lazy I guess).

> Testing:
>  Is there an easy way for idiots like me to try simple plots or something
>  like that with your package? The "yorick" binary greets me but leaves
>  me pretty alone. :)

A short plot-oriented tutorial is available through:

 #include "testg.i";
 grtest;

Hit return after each plot.

You can get more tests by typing "library" (test suites are at the end
of the list).

Thanks again,
Best regards, Thibaut.