Re: Jabbin packages now available, need fixing+sponsor

On Friday 04 August 2006 22:29, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> writes:
> > [If anyone has an idea how to run lintian from a Python program and
> > having it controlled by a timeout I'd be glad. No idea why lintian
> > hangs for a day.]
>
> lintian certainly shouldn't hang for a day; if you ever see that happen
> again and can gather some sort of trace information of what it thought
> it was doing, that would be great fodder for a bug report.

I tracked that down two days ago. Actually it happens that when running
external programs in a pipe using Python 2.4's "subprocess" module there
is a limited buffer for catching STDOUT and STDERR. If you do the call the
wrong way then the whole program will just hang if there is too much
output (more than the size of the buffer) coming from the external
process.

That's why it happened on packages with lots of lintian complaints. IMHO
the problem is fixed now and lintian has been innocent. :)

 Christoph
--
~
~