Re: RFS: python-harvestman

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:52:00PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On 2/15/06, Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
>
> > Please send in your comments, so that I can improve it.
>
> There's a small typo in the README.Debian file: "you can also sue the
> ..." it should be "you can also use the ... " :)
>
> Also, it seems you've written quite a long manpage... It would be nice
> if you could modify it to include the fact that the configuration is
> in XML, that you mention in README.Debian

Done that. The docs are from the docs provided on the website.

> Now, this is the ouput of lintian of your package:
>
> $ lintian python-harvestman_1.4.6-1_i386.changes
> W: python-harvestman source: package-uses-deprecated-debhelper-compat-version 1
> W: python2.4-harvestman: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
> usr/share/doc/python2.4-harvestman/Changes.txt.gz
> W: python2.3-harvestman: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
> usr/share/doc/python2.3-harvestman/Changes.txt.gz
>
> The first one is really easy to fix, you just have to use the compat
> variable, in your debian/rules file do:
> export DH_COMPAT=5
> (you have to update your debhelper's build-dependency for this, if you
> don't want, then use DH_COMPAT=4)
>
> The other ones are not hard to fix either, you fix this by replacing
> the "dh_installdocs" line for changelog.txt for this one:
> dh_installchangelogs -ppython$*-harvestman ./doc/changelog.txt

Done both.

> Anyway, is this a python "module" or a python "program" ? It looks
> like a python program to me, and therefore it does not need to be
> called python2.3-harvestman but rather harvestman -1.0 and
> harvestman-1.1 or something like that.  The "python-foo" naming scheme
> is there to identify python modules.

It is a program. However, the installer provided by upstream installs
it there. Besides, some functions can be used as library functions,
and may be useful elsewhere, won't they?

> In the case of an independent program, you can install it in
> /usr/share/foo instead of the site-packages dir.

That would mean meddling with the Python import directories, won't it?
Besides, the default installer installs it there. If you still think I
should install it in /usr/share/, I don't think it will be a problem.

> Also, python2.4 will be declared Debian's official version pretty
> soon, so I think that you could probably just do the python2.4
> version, since there are so many extra features in that one.

Again, if you really feel python2.4 only would be better and/or
harvestman, rather than python-harvestman would be better, I'll
repackage it.

Thanks for the comments.

Kumar
--