Re: RFS: python-harvestman

On 2/15/06, Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

> Please send in your comments, so that I can improve it.

There's a small typo in the README.Debian file: "you can also sue the
..." it should be "you can also use the ... " :)

Also, it seems you've written quite a long manpage... It would be nice
if you could modify it to include the fact that the configuration is
in XML, that you mention in README.Debian

Now, this is the ouput of lintian of your package:

$ lintian python-harvestman_1.4.6-1_i386.changes
W: python-harvestman source: package-uses-deprecated-debhelper-compat-version 1
W: python2.4-harvestman: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
usr/share/doc/python2.4-harvestman/Changes.txt.gz
W: python2.3-harvestman: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog
usr/share/doc/python2.3-harvestman/Changes.txt.gz

The first one is really easy to fix, you just have to use the compat
variable, in your debian/rules file do:
export DH_COMPAT=5
(you have to update your debhelper's build-dependency for this, if you
don't want, then use DH_COMPAT=4)

The other ones are not hard to fix either, you fix this by replacing
the "dh_installdocs" line for changelog.txt for this one:
dh_installchangelogs -ppython$*-harvestman ./doc/changelog.txt

(i.e. change dh_installdocs for dh_installchangelogs)

After fixing that, the package is both lintian and linda clean.

Anyway, is this a python "module" or a python "program" ? It looks
like a python program to me, and therefore it does not need to be
called python2.3-harvestman but rather harvestman -1.0 and
harvestman-1.1 or something like that.  The "python-foo" naming scheme
is there to identify python modules.

In the case of an independent program, you can install it in
/usr/share/foo instead of the site-packages dir.

Also, python2.4 will be declared Debian's official version pretty
soon, so I think that you could probably just do the python2.4
version, since there are so many extra features in that one.

--
Besos,
Marga