Re: Depending on both runtime and dev packages?

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 23:42 +0100, Davide Puricelli wrote:

> Can someone suggest me a better idea to resolve the problem?

Felix has the same issue (also a compiler). Debian is built
for non-programmer end users using apps built with C.
When targeting programmers, or dealing with non C code,
you will need to re-interpret the policy.

I decided that every package XYZ has an intent, use,
or purpose, and should depend on every other package
which is required to satisfy that purpose. OTOH a component
which is NOT in some way separately useful should not be
made into a package.

For Felix the runtime library is currently regarded as an
implementation detail. It is not documented and it has
no .soname so it shouldn't even be going into /usr/lib.

This is because I'm not providing the translator
application separately.

Any smart programmer wanting to use the standalone
translator separately is on their own at the moment.
I can't support that -- because it would require documenting
the runtime library, giving it a .so name, and installing
it in the proper place.

Q: So what about binary applications built with Felix?

A: They're not supported. I define execution in terms
of source code. The system knows when sources change
and rebuilds automatically. The generated binaries are
an implementation detail.

Clearly you have different needs and requirements for
your translator.

BTW: can I have a look?