Re: dpatch vs. quilt

"Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> The main advantage of
>> quilt IMHO is that it doesn't duplicate the whole tree when editing and
>> updating the patch, which can be time- and disk-consuming in large
>> projects.  Instead it keeps a list of files for the patch one is editing
>> and only keeps copies of these.
>
> Out of curiosity, does quilt have a mechanism similar to dpatch that
> allows you to treat shell scripts as "patches"?  My inability to find
> such a feature was the main reason I opted for dpatch over quilt in the
> Cernlib package -- I needed to move a bunch of files around within the
> source, and doing so with a pure patch system will result in huge and
> fragile diff files (two copies of each file to be moved, which breaks if
> upstream changes any of them!).  But now it sounds like I'm missing out
> on some features by not using quilt.

I don't think that quilt offers this, at least not in a straightforward
way.
Why can't you separate the moving around of files from the patching?

patch-stamp:
        quilt push -a
        debian/movefilearound

But looking at its implementation, maybe this could easily be changed,
just add an additional check whether the "patch" has a shebang line at
the start, and execute it instead of calling patch.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)