Re-libtooling + automake

Whenever I seem to relibtool a package now I always seem to get problems
with the timestamps being wrong, and the package tries to re-run automake.

Anyway, as a solution for that - we decided that the command

lsdiff --strip 1 debian/patches/10_update_libtool.diff | xargs touch -r
configure.in.in

would work.

However I've just stumbled across a package where this doesnt work.

Does anyone know enough about automake (I dont) to stop it trying to run on
a package build ? I'm getting errors like

WARNING: `automake-1.9' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'.
         You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.
         Grab them from any GNU archive site.

and I dont think a "touch *" in the rules is an elegant way to do it :D