Re: debian package installation - setting environment

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:40:12PM +0200, Ivars Strazdins wrote:
> Sam Morris wrote:
> > it should really live in /usr/lib/<package name>. If the use of /opt
> > is hard coded into the package then, well, that sucks. :)
>
> It is hard coded into management decision to which I really have no
> access whatsoever.
>
> > see <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.9> for
> > details.
>
> Thanks, I also thought I should go this way.
> But what to do with $PATH ?:(

Wrappers in /usr/bin.  If there is a Management Decree that No Package File
Will Be Outside /opt, then you're screwed unless you can mandate the use of
/bin/bash, and ship a modified /etc/profile.

Time to re-read "How To Win Friends And Influence People", and go to work on
the management twonks making your life difficult.

- Matt