Re: How to help with neglected packages

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 05:17:48PM +0100, Marcus Better wrote:

> I use a few packages, such as kernel-patch-exec-shield, which are
> neglected by the maintainer. What can I do to help if the maintainer is
> not responding to bug reports or e-mail?
>
> I have prepared patches fixing some bugs (even RC) and sent them to the
> BTS several weeks ago, and later also e-mailed the maintainer, but
> received to reply. The maintainer obviously hasn't touched the package
> for years.

You've done everything right so far.

> I am not a DD. Should I ask someone to do an NMU on these packages?

Your next step from here is probably to e-mail debian-qa@lists.debian.org
and ask them for an NMU, as they're the people who normally give otherwise
neglected packages (although I've recently seen a wider willingness amongst
DDs to jump into random packages, which is good).  As mentioned, if you
suspect that the package maintainer is really MIA (as opposed to, say, just
very overworked) you can e-mail mia@qa.debian.org to give the folks who do
that work to look into the manner.

- Matt