debian package installation - setting environment

Hello all,
how do I set/change system wide environment variables when installing package?

The package should go to /opt/<packagename>. I've been reading a lot of fighting about /opt for packages. Anyway, this seem to be the right place for 3rd party packages. Also, I cannot change this decision anyway :(

So, I need at least to add /opt/<package>/bin to $PATH + maybe setting some other environment variables (creating a wrapper script in $PATH is another possibility). How do I do this?

This seem to be appropriate mailing list, please advice, if not.
with kind regards,
begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Ivars Strazdi=C5=86=C5=A1
n;quoted-printable:Strazdi=C5=86=C5=A1;Ivars
org:SWH Sets
adr;quoted-printable:;;Antonijas 8;R=C4=ABga;;LV1010;Latvija
email;internet:ivars.strazdins@sets.lv
tel;work:+3717078334
tel;cell:+3719250341
x-mozilla-html:TRUE