Extra debian repository

Hello,

I am trying to create an easy way for distributing 5 or 6 debian
packages for a couple of people, and the solution that I found was
creating an extra debian repository, so that everyone involved could do
an "apt-get update && apt-get install package". To ease up the things
even more, I have created a meta-package with those extra packages as
dependencies, so that everything could go smooth.

- the repository created is a trivial one (something like "deb
http://server/dir1/dir2 dir3/"), and dir3 containes the packages
involved and the Packages.gz (created with dpkg-scanpackages)
- the packages involved are higher versions (sometimes cvs versions) of
packages that already exist in the debian's standard repository. So if
debian has abc-1.0, my package might be abc-1.1cvs01012006).

This is in theory. In practice, I have some problems when installing the
meta-package. More exactly, when I do an apt-get install
my_meta_package, this is what is happening:
- my_meta_package has version 1.1 as the minimum necesary version for
let's say abc (1.1 available from my repository)
- apt-get wants to install 1.0 instead, for that abc, which is not
enough for my_meta_package (1.0 being the version from the standard
debian repository)
- apt-get fails ("my_meta_package requires 1.1 for abc, but 1.0 is about
to be installed")

If I do an "apt-cache show abc", than both packages are displayed,
version 1.0 and 1.1cvs01012006.

So what am I doing wrong? If apt has two versions available for a
package,one from it's own repository, and one from a third party
repository, it doesn't install automaticaly the one with the higher
version? If not, what should I do in order to complete this kind of
setup?

Thanx in advance,
--
Mugurel Tudor (mugurelu@gmail.com)