Re: RFS: dlume -- Simple and easy to use addressbook (GTK+)

On 23 Nov 2006 13:57:50 +0200
Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> wrote:

> > I'm willing to take a look at it tomorrow and If it checks out, I'll

More work is needed before this package is ready for sponsoring.

1. There's a patch in the BTS that you need to include - a translation.
Also, check to see if any of the existing bugs are already fixed or
have obvious fixes. Tag those that are fixed as 'fixed-upstream' (see
later). In particular, #268468 should be looked at and, hopefully,
fixed.
2. There is one copyright holder missing from debian/copyright. Use
grep Copyright on the src/ directory.
3. There are commented lines in debian/rules that should be removed
4. copyright contains a notice to check other files for other copyright
holders - a reminder to implement [2] - you need to remove that
reminder once you have checked the source more carefully.
+# Please also look if there are files or directories which have a
+# different copyright/license attached and list them here.
5. debian-upstream.mk appears redundant.
6. a .desktop file would be a big improvement - the current menu entry
in Apps/Text could also be reviewed - most addressbooks go into
Apps/Databases or Apps/Tools. The .desktop file should probably use
Application;PIM;Office
7. Don't package NEWS - it's redundant.
8. Update the manpage to explain the absence of the claimed upstream
location. The manpage and AUTHORS also hint at other copyright holders
not specified in debian/copyright.
9. Don't package TODO - it's also redundant.
10. README is also probably redundant. It contains little information
that isn't already available in the app or in the apt-cache description.
11. Merge the copyright statements at the bottom of debian/copyright.
"The Debian packaging is (C) 2004-2006, David Moreno Garza
<damog@damog.net>, 2007, Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> and is
licensed under the GPL, see above."
12. Provide a download location that can be specified in
debian/copyright to replace the dead upstream.

BTW. Why did you remove cdbs? dh_make can create cdbs packaging as
easily as any other.

> - Upstream vanished
> - No new features will appear

This is bad news. This makes a comparison between dlume and equivalent
small addressbooks (like gpe-contacts, contacts and gaby or quicklist)
less than favourable. If there is no upstream, I am less keen to
sponsor. I'd strongly recommend creating a new upstream (somewhere like
SourceForge as this isn't a Debian native package) and seeking help to
create a new upstream team - unless you are willing to take on upstream
tasks alone.

> - I'm propbably able to fix C if there ever appears serious bugs.

As maintainer, you will be responsible for doing so - I can help as
sponsor but it'll be your job to implement the changes and test, hence
seeking help with upstream. You're looking to adopt an orphaned package
that is also dead upstream - that puts a certain burden on you as
prospective Debian maintainer. Not all orphaned packages are also dead
upstream.

Right now, the package is not ready for sponsoring.

--

Neil Williams