Re: Modifying upstream source

I just changed the install command in the rules file and it works nicely now... thanks :).

Martin Kelly

Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
Hi Martin!

On 10/21/06, Martin Kelly <aomighty@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a package called pyecm where the upstream distributes a pyecm.py
file but in Debian I'd like it to be called pyecm as that's a much
better command name (it's being used as a shell script and not a module).

If pyecm will be installed under /usr/bin then yes, it won't have the
.py extension

Which of these should I do in order to comply with standards and good
practice?

Leave the orig.tar.gz as it is and install pyecm.py as pyecm (don't
use preinst to do this).
I don't know how is the install system of this program and how you are
creating the package, but generally it's simple to install a file with
another name or rename it, when creating the package.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Nelson