Re: Still havent heard from upstream

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 07:52:04AM +0100, Gouki wrote:
> I contacted the author (2 times) and asked his permission to create a
> Debian package of his application before I started. Days passed and I
> decided to go ahead. Maybe I would hear from him during the process.
>
> Since the package is almost ready, I contacted him again a couple of
> days ago and also didn't receive a reply.
>
> What do I do?

Hi,

In case the license is DFSG free (so the package is suitable for main),
formally you do not need to even try to contact upstream at all.  It is
usually a good idea, but it is not a requirement.  So I'd suggest that you
just finish the package and request a sponsor.

However, if you have no contact with upstream, and there are bugs reported,
you will not be able to forward them.  So you may think about how you will
handle that: you should probably fix them yourself, and you may choose to fork
the whole project, so you can make a new release when the changes get big.  It
is also no problem to keep your changes in the Debian patch, and hope to get
in contact eventually.

Good luck,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html