Still havent heard from upstream

Hi,

I recently started packaging and already made my first package. I have
it almost ready for someone to sponsor, however, I did not heard from
upstream yet.

I contacted the author (2 times) and asked his permission to create a
Debian package of his application before I started. Days passed and I
decided to go ahead. Maybe I would hear from him during the process.

Since the package is almost ready, I contacted him again a couple of
days ago and also didn't receive a reply.

What do I do?