Re: want to adopt craft

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 09:52:01AM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Arvind kumar wrote:
> > First thing I need is access to latest CVS code for craft package
> > (only read permission will do ). As far as I could make out from
> > debian.org , there is some strict guide line and lengthy procedure
> > to be followed Any one can get me some clue on this
>
> I am mystified by what you mean by "read access to CVS code" and
> "lengthy procedure".

For source code, I suggest you ask the current maintainer directly, but
probably "apt-get source craft" (as suggested below) will give you the most
recent upstream and Debian source.  Unless there's been a new upstream release
of course, but in that case you probably know where to get it.

There are several documents which tell you how to make a package.  Personally
I was helped a lot by [0], a packaging tutorial made by Debian-Women.  Or me
at least, having some real experience before reading for example the new
maintainer guide was very helpful in understanding how and why things should
be done how they should.

[0] http://women.debian.org/wiki/English/PackagingTutorial

> 2. If there is a CVS repository of the Debian packaging (again a
>    quick look suggested that this is not so) then you can write to
>    the current maintainer Falk Hueffner <falk@debian.org> to see
>    how you can obtain access to that repository. Again mention that
>    you are planning to adopt etc...
>
> 3. You can always download the current Debian source package with (put some
>    (deb-src entries in your /etc/apt/sources.list):
>    	apt-get source craft
>    and look at various issues with "craft" (there are six bugs listed at
>    http://bugs.debian.org/craft) to see if you can resolve these or
>    at least work on them. If so then you are probably ready to adopt
>    the package. If so then retitle the bug from "RFA" to "ITA" and
>    set yourself as the owner. Ask on this list for a sponsor after you
>    have built your new version.
>
> (3) seems to me to be the way to start.

I'd say start with contacting Falk, if you didn't yet.  The fact that the
package is up for adoption, and not (yet) orphaned, means that he is willing
to help the new packager to get started with it.  Perhaps he has some valuable
tips for you as well.  He will probably also agree that (3) is what you should
do. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html