Re: RFS: libdiscid

On (01/10/06 18:28), Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
> James Westby wrote:
> > Hi, I cannot sponsor, but I have a few comments.
> >
> >   * You shouldn't use ${Source-Version} in debian/control any more
> >     http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2006/09/msg00228.html
>
> The policy suggests to use ${Source-Version}. I'd rather stick to it until it's
> changed there.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-intradeps

See

for an example bug that is the fault of using this field.

Yes, the field is new, and so it hasn't made it to policy yet, but there
is a reason it has been added, and this is to solve a simple yet
irritating problem.

> >   * Your debian/copyright is slighly lacking. You should note which
> >     files go with each copyright statement. Also there is at least one
> >     file not under the GPL, and this should be noted and it's license
> >     included.
>
> No file from that tarball under the GPL. :)

Sorry, reading too quickly.

> There are two files with originally non-LGPL licenses, but in both cases the
> original license allows you to relicense. After relicensing is the whole tarball
> under LGPL.

The file i was talking about was the public domain one. I didn't
actually go and look up its license, but if it allows it to be
relicensed then that license should be quoted with a mention that that
is what has happened.

> >   * Add a copyright and license statement about your debian/packaging.
>
> I'd prefer not to. AFAIK, it's not mentioned in any official documentation that
> I should.

But your packaging has copyright that belongs to you, and if you do not
distribute it under a license then you are causing problems. They may
not be seen as serious, but if you add two lines to debian/copyright
then they can disappear completely.

For what it is worth it is now included in the dh_make templates.

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256