Re: RFS: personalbackup

James Westby wrote:
On (23/09/06 19:41), Kim Kuylen wrote:
Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "personalbackup".

* Package name    : personalbackup

Hi,

I cannot sponsor your package, but I have a few comments,

  * The files you add to the upstream code can be shipped under debian/
    I believe, making it clearer they are contributed by you
    specifically for Debian. If this is not the case, or the changes
    will be incorporated in to the next upstream release.
I'm afraid I do not quite understand this item :(
  * I suggest that you add copyright and license headers to all of your
source files. If they are not written by you then it is even more important. (For instance I can't see any in the files under lib/).
All the code is released by me, but indeed it is better to add it to each file.
  * You should add a copyright and license statement about your Debian
    packaging as well.
Isn't that what the copyright file under the debian folder is for ?
It now contains:

This package was debianized by Kim Kuylen <linuxtuxie@users.sourceforge.org> on
  Sat,  7 Jan 2006 17:30:08 +0100.

  It was downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/personalbackup/

  Upstream Author: Kim Kuylen <linuxtuxie@users.sourceforge.net>

  Copyright: 2004 Kim Kuylen / Melexis
License: ....
  * You could add a watch file.
What do you exactly mean with this ? Do you have an example ?

  * Is the personalbackup.config an artifact from somewhere? I don't see
    a template file, or postinst to act on the answers.
You are completely correct. This file needs removal.
  * There is a lintian warning
      W: personalbackup: init.d-script-missing-lsb-section
      /etc/init.d/personalbackup
    Please correct it.
I added the following section:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          personalbackup
# Required-Start:    $syslog
# Required-Stop:     $syslog
# Should-Start:      $syslog
# Should-Stop:       $syslog
# Default-Start:     3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Startup personalbackup daemon at boot time
#                    backing up all registered clients.
### END INIT INFO

  * It seems to me that everything that ends up in /var/www/ might belong
    in /usr/share/.
Is this obligatory? Because I thought /var/www/personalbackup was the right location for the web stuff...

 * You ship an empty /tmp/ in the deb, please drop this.

Personalbackup depends on the existence of the /tmp folder...so is it ok to just assume that it is always there ?

Thanks for the time you took to investigate my package!

Regards,
Kim