Re: RFS: swish++: A Simple Web Indexing System for Humans --- C++ version

On (20/09/06 15:00), Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone please sponsor a New Maintainer upload of swish++?
>
> 	http://www.imsc.res.in/~kapil/debian/swish++/swish++_6.1.4-0pre3.dsc
>
> 	or
>
> 	http://http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/swish++/swish++_6.1.4-0pre3.dsc
>

> Note: Must bump version to 6.1.4-1 before upload.

Why have you done it like this?

I cannot sponsor, but I have some comments.

  * What are the all_in_one.patch and swish++.conf.patch files?
  * You have two "added homepage to description." entries in
    debian/changelog.
  * You should base the packaging on the NMUs that have been done I
    believe. It is also possible to close the bugs by including their
    changelog entries in the upload if you use the correct -v option to
    dpkg-buildpackage. You might wish to consider this. By completely
    dropping the entries from the changelog you have removed some of the
    history of the package.
  * debhelper (>> 4.0.0) in debian/control, is (>= 4.0) not sufficient?
    (Only a minor point).
  * Is "* Generously commented source code" something the users of the
    package really need to know?
  * Your debian/copyright does not have all the information that it
    needs, some copyright holders and licenses are missing. Also it
    doesn't quite conform to the preferred layout. See
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html
    for more information.
  * You might be interested in /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make, rather than
    trying to patch yourself. Also the environment variable
    QUILT_PATCHES would have helped you.
  * You don't use any CFLAGS in debian/rules. I don't think nostrip
    would work for your package like this. Please add them, and if the
    package doesn't build with them try and fix it.

The binary package looks OK, but I haven't tested it.

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256