Re: Launch the most relevant terminal emulator.

Hi Charles,

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:45:18AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am packaging a program which depends on xterm because it opens a
> window to start a command line program. I am considering patching it to
> use x-terminal-emulator.
>
> But alternatives have a bad tendency to represent the latest program
> installed in the category, instead of the most wanted.

The alternatives system would have failed if this held true.
Nonetheless, if the local admins don't care: possibly, yes. :-)

> Is there a Debian
> way to detect wether the user runs a window manager which has a default
> console, and use this one ?

    Sorry, I can't help you here.  But IMO this indeed points to real
limitations of the alternatives system: it's system wide, and it's
static.

    Regarding the first, see the six years (!) old bug #77828 [1]
and its fellow bugs about user alternatives.  Regarding the second, one
could think about something like sensible-x-terminal, which could be
configured as per environment variables like the other sensible-*
commands.  That would fulfill the requirement to be dynamic, too.

    It seems that the idea of a sensible-x-terminal wrapper has already
come up in the past.  See the discussions starting at [2] -- that time
it was apparantly motivated from i18n issues, though.  Apparently there
was even a package 'sensible-xtermemu' created, however I cannot find
any evidence of that package besides some mailing list postings.
Perhaps some elder DD can tell why we still don't have
sensible-x-terminal in Debian?

HAND,
Nikolaus

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/77828