More on Singular's license

Hi. Quoting some context below. I have finally received a response
from the Singular team, and I have further questions.

My original query to debian-mentors@lists.debian.org follows:

On 15/09/06, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to learn the process on how to become a Debian maintainer
or developer (I don't even know if I'm using the right terms) because
I really want to get Singular into the Debian distribution:

     http://singular.uni-kl.de/

Someone else has already expressed interest in packaging it, perhaps
we could package it together:

     http://bugs.debian.org/383515

However, I think we've hit a snag with the DFSG.
[snip, specifics about problems with omalloc and MP library]

A member of Singular has responded, quoting the email I sent the team
and the relevant copyright holder of the offending library:

On 18/09/06, hannes@mathematik.uni-kl.de <hannes@mathematik.uni-kl.de> wrote:

> [...]
Hello,
I cannot speak for Olaf Bachmann, but I remember the discussion about the
license of omalloc and can give you some information about it.
(We will also ask Olaf Bachmann, but that will take some time).
Singular and omalloc:
- we have a replacement of omalloc used for tests, which could be made
  available (it is some work: it is currently only a quick hack for
  some tests).
  It will be much slower - so we would not recommend this solution.
omalloc license:
- Olaf Bachmann has, as I think, no objections against having anyone modify
  the code
- he has no objections against any use of omalloc within Singular
- he does not want anybody to use omalloc in a comercial software
  without contacting/asking him before

Hans Schoenemann

Woohoo! It looks like there's hope (as soon as we manage to contact
Olaf Bachmann anyways). It would be much more convenient to use the
software that is already available instead of attempting to use the
patchwork replacement that the rest of the Singular team has been
working on.

Now, it seems that Herr Bachmann is afraid of having The Evil
Corporations take his code away from him and sell it (I'm presuming
that Hans Schoenemann really meant proprietary, not commercial
software). If I'm understanding Bachmann's intentions correctly, as
related by Schoenemann, shouldn't we be recommending precisely the GPL
to Olaf Bachmann? However, it seems that Bachmann himself does not
endorse the GPL. This is the text of the license terms he has given to
omalloc:

                      SINGULAR version 3-0-2
                     Package name:   omalloc

                     University of Kaiserslautern

     Department of Mathematics and  Centre for Computer Algebra

                 Author of this package: O. Bachmann

                       Copyright (C) 1999-2006

                              *NOTICE*

For this package the GPL does not apply. Permission of use within the
software SINGULAR is granted by the author. In addition to this
permission to modify the sources is granted to the copyright holders
of SINGULAR.

If you wish to use this package outside of SINGULAR or to modify it in
any way, please contact the author
"Olaf Bachmann" <obachman@mathematik.uni-kl.de>.

Here Bachmann specifically denies using the GPL, although in good
faith, seems willing to allow modifications of his package as long as
he is contacted first. (By the way, as noted above in my email to the
Singular team, the contact information given here for Olaf Bachmann is
no longer valid).

If I may so presume to know the inner workings of Bachmann's mind, I
think he feels adversely towards the GPL due to a
misunderstanding. One of the (admittedly controversial) strengths of
the GPL is that it protects software from the concerns that
Schoenemann seems to imply Bachmann has.

What do you think? This is all still highly speculative, but I need
some advice on what to say to Olaf Bachmann, once we manage to contact
him.

If I should move all of this discussion to
debian-legal@lists.debian.org instead, let me know, and I'll do it.

By the way, is there a smart way of dealing with being subscribed with
several high-volume Debian mailing lists? Right now I'm using Gmail
and its filter system, but even that is a bit unwieldy. Other
solutions welcome.

Thanks again,
- Jordi G. H.