Re: RFS: isomd5sum (formerly anaconda)

On (13/09/06 21:20), Ryan Finnie wrote:
> Greetings James,
>
> Thank you for the recommendations.
>
> On 9/13/06, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
>
> >  * Your debian/copyright needs more work, see
> >    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html
>
> debian/copyright brought up to standard, more on that below...

Not quite, you missed md5.c. This file is not under the same license as
the rest of the package, and must be documented in debian/rules.

Also I'm not sure of

--
/* Copyright 2001 Red Hat, Inc.                                    */
/* Michael Fulbright msf@redhat.com                                */

Is Michael Fulbright supposed to be asserting Copyright as well, or is
he just the author or similar? I believe that he is not, but I wonder if
anyone else has any opinions.

> >  * Consider using a python framework for managing the byte compilation,
> >    either python-support or python-central.
>
> pyisomd5sum is a .so extension, not a .py module, so byte compilation
> is not necessary/possible.

Indeed. My apologies.

> I decided
> to separate the isomd5sum directory of the Anaconda sources into its
> own tarball.  As a result, there is now only one copyright holder (Red
> Hat, Inc), and one license (GPLv2).  More on that is at
> http://www.finnie.org/software/isomd5sum/ (this also serves as a "home
> page" for the broken-out tarball).

This is not the normal method of doing this, but I think that it still
works. It makes it slightly harder for whoever picks up the package if
you were to go AWOL though.

Also if you are repackaging can you remove the .cvsignore files from the
resulting tarball?

There is also no need to have the current maintainer documented in
debian/copyright, that's what debian/control is for.

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256