Re: RFS: queuegraph (take two)

Good evening to Dublin!

also sprach Conall O'Brien <conall+debian@conall.net> [2006.08.31.2214 +0200]:
> >   debian/control: any reason why Homepage: is indented?
>
> I see this has already sparked a thread. I merely followed an example I
> was previously pointed to.

It's okay as it is; my bad.

> >   debian/copyright: you don't claim any copyright over the packaging
>
> Hmm, I just filled in the appropriate details from the dh_make generated
> debian/copyright - I've adjusted it now

Maybe consider updating the dh-make package?

> >   debian/cron.d: the cron job does not do anything, it only checks
> >     whether count.sh is executable but never runs it. The shell
> >     redirections are also incorrect.
>
> Ack! I was trying to verify that the execurable is there, and if so, run
> it shooting any output to /dev/null (I've found the script occasionally
> complains when a message leaves the mail queue before the count.sh
> script finishes executing)

what you want is >/dev/null 2>&1

> >   debian/install: any particular reason why you install shell
> >   scripts it /usr/lib and not /usr/share?
>
> I guess I was just following the example from the apache2 package
> - it drops executables that should be in a user's $PATH in
> /usr/lib/$package/ eg /usr/lib/apache2/suexec

suexec is an architecture-dependent file, so by the FHS it *must* be
in /usr/lib. Your shell scripts are architecture-independent, so
they *could* be in /usr/share. I just wanted to make sure you put
them into /usr/lib consciously.

Do see Micah's reasoning in #371859.

In this case, I don't really see why the script should be in
/usr/lib because it's not a binary nor a library.

> >   debian/postrm: the else clause makes no sense.
> >     also, why do you escape the $ in the warning:
> >       echo "postinst called with unknown argument \$1'" >&2
> >     there's also a spare '
> >     same thing applies to postinst
>
> That would be because I yoinked them from bindgraph and adapted them to
> my needs. If there is a better example in http://svn.debian.org , I'd
> appreciate being pointed in it's direction

well, "postinst called with unknown argument \$1'" will print

  postinst called with unknown argument $1'

regardless of what $1 is. You don't want that. Just remove the \ and
the ' in postrm and postinst.

About the else... well, it does not hurt, but it's a sign that you
"yoinked" code without really understanding what it does. Don't get
me wrong, I am not here to expose you or anything, but I understand
Debian to be about package development, not cut-n-paste until it
works. It *does* work in this case, and presumably you've tested it.
But when you don't know what your code is doing 100%, you are much
more likely to encounter problems that you didn't foresee.

> Once I've fixed the cron.d, postrm and postinst scripts, I'll
> upload to mentors.debian.net again

Great. Thanks for your work! Ping me privately if needed, I'll
sponsor the package.

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

... with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost,
but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
            -- douglas adams, "the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"