Re: Packaging non-compiled files

Am Mittwoch, den 02.08.2006, 11:13 -0400 schrieb Kit Peters:
> I asked a similar question on debian-user, and was recommended to come
> here instead.
>
> At my job, we would like to use apt to distribute certain packages,
> such as WWW applications written in PHP, to certain other of our
> machines.  The way I had been doing this was to write a simple
> Makefile with an empty 'all' target and having an 'install' target
> that installs the various files in the application to their proper
> locations.  This works, for the most part, but I'm wondering if
> there's a better way to do it.

If you just want to put some files into special dirs, you can use
dh_install (man dh_install) in debian/rules. So you can avoid writing
long Makefiles or complicating debian/rules. The are other dh_install*
(and dh_*) debhelper scripts, which can help you to install special
filetypes (e.g. dh_installexamples, dh_installdocs, dh_installcatalogs,
dh_installman, ... etc.). Have a look at their manpages to find out, how
to use these scripts.

Regards, Daniel