Re: Sponsor for 'hotkeyd' using the input event device

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 02:15:17 +0300
George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 30 July 2006 01:51, Christopher Zimmermann wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> Hi,
>
> > I wrote a small daemon in perl which listens for keystrokes on
> > the /dev/input/event[0123] input event devices and executes small
> > commands or even complex scripts when certain keys are pressed.
> >
> > I know that there are already tools performing similar tasks like
> > hotkeys. But all of them rely on X. My script will work even without a
> > xserver running. The downside of this approach is that you cannot use
> > the daemon to start programs like your browser, mail client and such.
> > A thing I'm not so sure about is the way I use the input.h kernel
> > header. Is this a clean approach?
>
> If you include /usr/include/linux/input.h from the linux-kernel-headers
> package and not from the linux kernel source directory, then I think it is
> fine. But do in mind that your package will not run on Hurd or *BSD, so it
> will not be architecture all (if you declared it that way, I haven't checked
> that, though).

So I will have to specify a list of all archs but bsd and hurd?
Is there a similar interface on BSD or hurd one could use for this
purpose?

> > Now I'm looking for a sponsor to include this package in debian.
>
> I hope you will find a sponsor.

Thanks!

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:18:06 +0100
martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> Why not? We really should have a proper script in /usr/bin that does
>
>   XAUTHORITY=$(ps ax | sed -rne 's,.*/usr/bin/X .*-auth ([-/:._[:alnum:]]+).*,\1,p')
>
> but it should make sure that it's selecting the right X server when
> there are more than one running.

fine. That would be my next task then ;). But I haven't much time in
the next few weeks :(
But hey, this one-liner could be included in the examples since the
daemon supports scripts. But one question: This will not preserve the
users environment, will it?