Re: mini-dinstall, repository signing and apt-get authentication

George Danchev wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 21:20, Neil Williams wrote:
> --cut--
>> That's what I used to use but this method can't be used with
>> mini-dinstall. It looks like your repository is a single subdirectory
>> whereas mine uses multiple subdirectories for the multiple
>> architectures. Each one, apparently, needs a customised Release file.
>
> let mini-dinstall generates these Release files on the server side

This is a problem. mini-dinstall does not create all the required
Release files. It only creates the top level Release file.

When I try to create a Release file with apt-ftparchive in the
architecture-specific subdirectory, apt-ftparchive recurses UP the tree
and interferes with the Release file generated by mini-dinstall in the
directory above. The Release file written by apt-ftparchive is not valid
anyway.
W: Conflicting distribution: http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk
packages/unstable/amd64/ Release (expected packages/unstable/amd64 but
got "data-freedom")

I've had to delete the Release and Release.gpg files from each
subdirectory for now.

When I create a dummy Release file, apt-get update complains that no
MD5Sum entries are found so I need to copy the Release file from the
directory above. Doing that then confuses apt-get without some nasty sed
hacking to mangle the directory names for each MD5Sum to correctly
identify the subdirectory and limit the Architecture: line to just the
architecture in that subdirectory.

It appears that mini-dinstall simply does not support all the declared
options. generate-release does not appear to work for
archive_style=simple-subdir, at least it doesn't if more than one
architecture is specified.

Time for a bug report, I think. But in order to actually get the thing
working, I need more help.

Is there another way of generating a Release file?

What is the underlying method, avoiding all use of devscript tools?

I'm now trying a brute force method:

$ cp /home/neil/Release.amd64 ./Release
$ md5sum Packages >> Release
$ md5sum Packages.gz >> Release
$ echo "SHA1:" >> ./Release
$ sha1sum Packages >> ./Release
$ sha1sum Packages.gz >> ./Release

then signing the Release file to create Release.gpg

I get:
Failed to fetch
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/packages/unstable/amd64/Release  Unable
to find expected entry  Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release
file?)

The base Release file is:
Archive: unstable
Origin: "Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk>"
Component: main
Label: "Data Freedom demo packages"
Architecture: amd64
Packages: amd64/Packages
MD5Sum:

What's missing / wrong?
(I've tried with and without the Packages: line. The rest is as per the
Debian Repository HOWTO.)

For this repository:
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/packages/unstable/amd64/Release

What should the Release file in amd64/ contain?

--

Neil Williams