mini-dinstall, repository signing and apt-get authentication

I'm trying to sort out my trivial apt repository properly so that my
sponsor can obtain my packages more easily.

I've generated a gpg key to sign the Release files and I'm using
mini-dinstall on the server. It appears to be working, Release and
Release.gpg are created and gpg can verify that the signature is good.

$ gpg --verify Release.gpg Release
gpg: Signature made Tue Jul 25 14:04:53 2006 BST using DSA key ID 6C7D3C63
gpg: Good signature from "Data Freedom Repository Signing Key
(www.data-freedom.org/packages/) <linux@codehelp.co.uk>"

I've added that key to apt using sudo apt-key add and it's listed OK.

Yet apt-get update doesn't seem to locate Release.gpg correctly:

Ign http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk packages/unstable/all/ Release.gpg

and trying to install a package from the repository still gives
authentication errors.

$ sudo apt-get install pilot-qof
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
  pilot-qof
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 94.4kB of archives.
After unpacking 516kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  pilot-qof
Install these packages without verification [y/N]?
E: Some packages could not be authenticated

Repository:
deb http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/ packages/unstable/$(ARCH)/
deb http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/ packages/unstable/all/
deb-src http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/ packages/unstable/source/

Signing key:
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/packages/0x6c7d3c63.txt
(not on keyservers yet in case this doesn't work out.)

mini-dinstall conf:
[DEFAULT]
archivedir=<private path removed from message to list>
mailto=linux@codehelp.co.uk
architectures=all, i386, amd64, powerpc
archive_style=simple-subdir
generate_release=1
release_codename="data-freedom"
release_description="Data Freedom demo packages"
release_label="Data Freedom demo packages"
release_origin="Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk>"
release_signscript=<private path removed from message to list>
extra_keyrings=<private path removed from message to list>

I'm not getting mail from mini-dinstall either.

Any idea what I've done wrong?

I've read that Release needs to be present in the subdirectories but
mini-dinstall normally looks after everything in those subdirectories.
It deletes "Release" files that I create in the top level directory.

The generated Release file looks OK:
Origin: "Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk>"
Label: "Data Freedom demo packages"
Suite: unstable