Re: library files in package

Dear Steven Hill, you wrote:
> Is there a way to include library files in a package and have them
> installed automatically in /usr/lib, or failing that is there a way to
> have a package automatically install a package that the app being
> installed depends on?

`To include library files in a package' is very well possible. Not only in the
`depends' way posted otherwise on this list by Jerry DuVal, but it's of course
also possible to include the files in a library (thus `including library files
in a package'), and so making a separate Debian package from it. You'll find
examples of that in all debian library packages. It's not very different from
making a binary package. Your control file will be a bit more complex if you
also have a development version of your library. E.g., an excerpt from my
Bobcat library (see my June 30 posting):

Source: bobcat
Section: libs
Maintainer: Frank B. Brokken <f.b.brokken@rug.nl>
Uploaders: George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), g++-4.0 (>= 4.0.3),
               libmilter-dev (>= 8.13.6-1), libx11-dev (>= 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6)
Standards-Version: 3.7.2

Package: libbobcat1
Section: libs
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
 The (shared) Bobcat library contains classes and templates used by, e.g., the
 Stealth and Bisonc++ programs.
 .

Package: libbobcat1-dev
Architecture: any
Section: libdevel
Depends: libbobcat1
 Headers and documentation of classes defined in the Bobcat library.
 .
 The Bobcat library contains a variety of C++ classes and templates, some of

> Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you

My pleasure.

--
    Frank B. Brokken
    Computing Center, University of Groningen